Thursday 1 May 2014

Ceramics Induction: Clay Head

In our ceramics induction, we also tried out different materials, such as clay. I felt like this was a more fun medium to work with, just because it was harder to make mistake and mess up things you have already done, like in plasticine. The clay did get harder to mold when your hands were too warm, so there were a lot of breaks/running hands under cold taps to get back to work.

We started off by making two halves of a sphere. After that we made some slip - runny clay - to stick the sides together. We used the same technique to stick on the facial features, and hair, making sure to crosshatch the back and fill it in with lots of slip so that no air would be trapped and explode. We also had to make a small hole in the head to allow air to escape there so that the whole thing did not explode while being fired.

I like how my model came out, although it could definitely have been improved if I stuck to either a realistic or cartoony style; the cheekbones do not really work since I made the cartoonesque, but then began building them up as if it was a real face. I think that it makes the model look a little bit creepier; that is half because of the eyes, but I think they would have looked fine with one style of cheekbones or the other. Next time I will plan the design out properly and decide which style to do instead of just getting excited and trying to do everything at once. 

Again, this didn't help my main project too much, but it does give me a semi decent reference if I want to draw this character from other angles.




No comments:

Post a Comment