Thursday 9 January 2014

Newest 3D Animations - Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks



Disney's newest film is Frozen, based on the story of The Ice Queen. They have cut out characters and added romantic elements so that the film doesn't really resemble the original story much which is probably what they did in a lot of Disney films, but The Ice Queen was a story I really liked, so I was dubious about watching this. The sound track is lovely and the concept art is even lovelier. The animation has come a long way as well, but I still think that some other Disney films had better animation that this (Tangled - the animation looks very similar in both, and I'm not sure what is is exactly that makes me prefer the latter). The animation has come a long way from Toy Story though, the textures greatly improving and the characters fitting better, I think, with the backgrounds. The effects of the snow and ice is absolutely beautiful though, and something that impressed me a lot with this film. The transition of the snow to ice as Elsa builds her palace looks stunning, and her costume change into the ice dress is some of my favourite animation from a Disney film.




Monsters University was one of the most expensive films for Pixar to make but in my opinion, it was definitely worth it. The textures, especially of Sully's fur is ten times better and a lot of the backgrounds actually made me need to stop and think about whether they were real or not. I think that the character designs were great as well, finding a style for each of the characters in university. I didn't expect them to make Sully be the jock type or make Mike be the nerd type, but it worked very well in this film, and I liked the story just as much if not more than the original Monsters Inc, which was definitely one of my favourite films. I love that they released this 12 years after the original, with a lot of returning fans watching it. The children who saw it in the cinema as it was released would have been at university age as this was coming out, making it relatable but also a nice blast from the past. I definitely thought that - it came out just as I and a lot of people I knew were about to go to university, and a lot of them also went to see it, along with the children of this generation. Accidental or not, I think that it was an extremely good move and good consideration of their audience. Monsters Inc uses the same lighting system as the first Toy Story; the animators stopped using that way of lighting after Toy Story because they 'couldn't make it work' but they wanted to try again and with Monsters University, they found the technology to be able to do that.




Turbo isn't actually a film I have seen yet, but from watching the trailer I am definitely tempted to. The animation has improved a lot from Antz' animation from what I can see in the trailer, and I also like the concept.The art style has completely changed and is much more well lit, and with less humanoid shapes as well, making the animators find other ways to express emotion and actions. The reflections and the lighting from the cars and other gadgets etc in film are impressive and would have had a lot of experimenting to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment