Monday 3 February 2014

A Tale In The Sting

For this project we have 3 briefs to choose from;

- Idents - a choice of 4 channels to create 10 second idents for - 10 seconds each with logos and permission for audio used

- Titles - animated sequence for a book(or graphic novel) to film adaption with something that hasn't been adapted before. Permission for audio and 40 seconds length.

- Campaign - 40 second animation for a choice of two charities to raise public awareness of the work that they do.

Idents was the first choice presented to us, and I was very tempted by the idea. 10 seconds each is not that daunting, and I could do design work for 3 different things, which would be so fun. I could experiment a lot more and try more things, but the amount of research I would have to do, plus the fact that I would have less development time for each is less appealing to me. Still, I thought it could be very good practice.

Then, we got the Titles option; 40 seconds sounds scary. However, this is something that I am very interested in doing  - the animation I would rather do (or the design work I would rather do) would be for cartoons, particularly Cartoon Network or Disney. I am also a big reader meaning that I would have a lot of choice, and I feel like I would be so much more interested in this project for the whole of the three months since I would have a grounded interest in the subject I a animating. A lot of the books I have are ones that have already been adapted, and I would rather have a lot more knowledge in a book that I have read than animating one I have read for the first time. Still, I will look into some short stories or children's books that I could animate before deciding. I also have a lot of graphic novels that I would be so excited to create animations of, so I definitely want to look into animating those. I will also research a lot of cartoon openings first, and if it seems like I have the confidence or skill level to make something like that, then that will be my choice.
I've redesigned comic book characters in the style of popular cartoons before, and it is definitely something I would like to do again.

Wonder Girl in the style of Teen Titans (2012)

Young Justice in the style of Fairly Odd Parents (2012)


I had no temptation to do Campaign at all. I'm more more interested in creating something fictional, and I feel like I don't have the enthusiasm or drive to create something like that. It is definitely not something I could concentrate on in the long term, so this option was straight out.

No comments:

Post a Comment