Sunday 12 October 2014

Introduction to Maya

Maya Controls

Q = Select Mode
W = Move/Translate
E = Rotate
R = Scale
T = Aim Lights/Camera
Z = Undo
Shift + Z = Redo

Our first try on Maya was fun, even though it was quite different from traditional 2D animation. I didn't find myself worrying about how nice each frame looked, or having to concentrate on keeping my anatomy consistent so much; the rig Moom made editing positions and movements of the character much easier, which gave me more patience to change things and animate for longer.


I didn't use reference as we were just intending to have a mess around on Maya to familiarise ourselves with it. I ended up trying to make Moon moonwalk but I did it backwards, so it came out very awkward. I also messed around with lights which was fun, and something I would like to look into further, to change the atmosphere of my animations and make then look even better.


I tried another animation with Moom at home which went a lot better since I had reference. I found some parts awkward to do, since my Maya didn't show me the boxes that allow you to put in values for the ball/heel etc of the rig, so I wouldn't move Moon quite how I wanted to. The animation still came out a lot better, and it was a lot of fun to make him move and see it work properly. So far I am finding that I have a lot more patience when it comes to animating 3D characters than 2D, and I am hoping that this continues as I tackle harder problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment