Sunday 24 January 2016

PR02: Lifted Animated Short



Lifted is most definitely character driven; the small alien continuously messes up as he attempts to abduct the sleeping human through a window as he just can't find the right buttons. It looks like he is a beginner and is being judged by his other alien companion from their interactions, which just adds to the humor as the small alien has moments of trying to show off and then failing completely. This continues throughout the whole animation even through to the end; there is a heartwarming moment where the bigger alien takes pity on the smaller one and allows him to drive the space ship - before promptly dropping it onto the human's house and destroying all but a small circle of land around the human's bed. This failed attempt at abduction is very simple as it is a case of trying, messing up, trying again until the task is finished or given up on.

Despite being one of the longer shorts I've looked at, I think this is a little too simple compared to what I want to design/write for; the problem here is never resolved, and the story moves on with a laugh and reinforcement of what a failure the small alien is after doing the same activity. I would like to involve a little bit more plot in my story, although I have seen from the shorts I have looked at that simple is very effective, so I need to keep that in mind while writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment