Wednesday 12 March 2014

Animating to Sound

The sound animations were not ones that I had fun with. It took a while to get into the drawing to sounds, but when I did, I managed to get a lot of development done, and further my ideas more. However, I found it extremely hard to translate these into animations, so I struggled with that part a lot more.


Here I used a brush with textures to to and get the loud but softer feel that the normal brushes would not be able to get. Though I managed to use the shape that I had got to in developing my work, I don't think it looks effective as an animation at all.



This animation I enjoyed in part because it was almost split into two parts; you have the moving squiggle for the first part of the sound, and then the falling line on a different shot, which reminded me of those old Snake games on Nokias. I think that it worked quite well, and was possible to most well received animation out of all of my sound animations.



I used jagged lines because that's how the sound felt to me, with some powdery kind of noise from a larger, looser brush around it to get the almost staticky noise in the background of the sound included. I like how that part work in the animation, but I still think that as a whole it is quite boring.



I got a little bit carried away for this, making more of a shape than I meant to. Ultimate it didn't work as well as it could have; peers said that I could have tried speeding it up, but when I did, the legs of the shape always looked funny. I could try speeding it up in After Effects, but the it wouldn't last the length of the sound, and I didn't enjoy the animation enough to do more. I think that even with those changes, it still wouldn't be as effective as it could otherwise be.



This one worked out quite well, and was fun to do. It followed my developments a lot closer than the others, and translated quite easily into an animation. I thought that red would work as a magic kind of color, which is how the noise feels to me, and the softer brush circles feel to me almost like sparkles, and the sort of thing you would see around magic in a Disney film. I couldn't decide how to do the short part after the break in the middle of the sound after experimenting, although all of the feedback I got said that it would probably have worked more if the second part also flashed on and off.


I think next time I would like to study how still sound drawings are translated into actual animations, and maybe try some traditional media instead of digital (if I had time!)



No comments:

Post a Comment