Thursday 20 March 2014

Title Sequence: Character Design Part 2

I decided that I would see if I could get any designs based off of the Adventure Time (Fiona and Cake) style that I liked earlier, as it worked very nicely for the female characters, even if it would need to be changed a little but to make the characters look slightly older. After a little bit of searching, I found a style that could complement it well - Dustin Nguyen's Li'l Gotham style.

I thought that this style would be easier to show both genders, since the shape is not drastically different for each. It also gave me a chance to experiment with parts of other styles I liked, like the Motorcity style and BTAS, using some sharp edges and different proportions.


I then tried out the Adventure Time style properly, making it fit more for an older teenage than a younger one (Fionna). It worked and allowed for some body variation as well, making one shorter and round and one of them taller and slimmer, to reflect to sort of training/work the different characters do. The archer needs to be more streamlined and a smaller target, whereas the 'tank' needs to have plenty of muscle and body mass to throw behind her punches and kicks. This is definitely something I would like to experiment with more in the future; it is a nice change than only being able to show power/muscles in male character styles.


I then refined the male style and lined different variations of it up, to account for the different body shapes that each of the male characters have. Especially after the styles I had tried earlier, it was definitely easy to figure out what proportions and shapes could be changed.

 I then added character detail and color just to check it worked - it helped a lot earlier to see if styles worked, and I think that it did help here as well, even if I did draw the heads a bit too big.

I had to move promptly on to storyboards etc after this because of time constraints, but I was happy with my designs for both genders, and it left me feeling confident about the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment