Thursday 12 March 2015

AA: Cake Man Colours

For the Cakeman's colours, I decided to experiment a little with different media, just to see what I could achieve. It was interesting trying to combine the colours that I wanted just because traditional media, or at least the selection I have, is a lot limited with colours, and some I have a lot more trouble trying to mix, meaning that I had to limit my palette a lot more.

I went for pastels first since that was what I had the least amount of colours in (and the least amount of experience). I didn't particularly find any good colour schemes or find using them helpful, especially since I printed off copies of the Cakeman to colour over; maybe with new, looser drawings the pastel would have looked better and could have been easier to experiment with, but it didn't work all that much for this. If I absolutely had to pick a colour scheme from this, I would say maybe the first or fourth Cakeman - the softer contrast works slightly better within this project, and he looks friendlier.


I used my regular pencils after that, that has a little more range in colours. The last two work much better - it goes with the themes of the animation a lot more, although I feel like it might actually be better to have more contrast there - or at least lighten the top halves a little bit mire.

I then tried gouache which I don't have a lot of experience with. I find it marginally easier than watercolour, but I'm just not that much of a painter. I did like the opacity though, and I feel like that is a much easier way to judge the colours for this project as we want lots of areas of bright, flat colours. The three of us liked the second Cakeman a lot - it works better than the pink/blue ones earlier, but our only problem then is that his colour scheme might be just a little too close to Johnny, and possibly to the cake cart as well since we were considering more brighter colours including pink.


Lastly, I did a set of colours with my markers, which I am much more confident in. the winner on this page was actually the ginger/purple/green one; his colours are a lot more different than Johnny's, meaning that they should work together a lot better. Some parts might need lightening a bit, but we do like the contrast with the apron. Purple can be good for a 'mysterious' character, but we need to be careful with his body language since purple is also popular for villains. Cakeman is more supposed to be a very eccentric, and I feel like the colours work for that - he doesn't look as friendly as the pink/blue scheme, but he doesn't look unfriendly either. Since we have had a lot of good feedback for the ginger/green/purple scheme, I think we are going to go with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment