Friday 13 March 2015

AA: Early Cake Stand Designs

I'm focussing on the main, present day cake cart/stall/stand for now; we want it to look fun and happy and full of cakes, but not overly sweet. It needs to not contrast with both of the two main characters, and give both of them space to move around inside it, especially as the Cake Man is so tall.


The first design that I have has too much detail I think - it is very short, and filled up a lot with parts that might make it a lot cluttered when the characters are there. The second design is a lot more open, and I really like the cakes along the side of the cart. This puts them out of the way of the characters and allows for more movement, the I think that the stand itself is too wide and the sloping front might look a little weird.


I really like the detail for the leg/wheel/ornate parts of the stand on the left - they look a little more sophisticated. Again, there is too much going on though, and might make some of the animation awkward. One of the biggest problems in the height of the cart though - again, a lot of these would be too short for Cakeman but that is easily fixable. The second cart is better - the centre is much more open, so the characters have room to move without too much distraction, and the amount of cakes have been placed much nicer. I like the doors advertising other cakes as well - you can see them clearer than the ones in the cart itself, and box the scene in nicely. Cara also liked that one for these reasons.


I looked at the side parts of the cart a little more for the next designs - I do like the rounder edges, but the top doesn't work as much, and I feel like the cart of the right hand side is much better size wise. I really liked the detail on the legs, so I decided to keep that, along with the little detail in the wheel. We are very happy with the second design, although I might add more more cakes/detail around the front of the cart, since it looks a bit empty. Beyond that, I think we have our cart.


No comments:

Post a Comment