Wednesday 16 March 2016

PR02: Motorbike Desgins


Trying to design motorbikes for the characters was very tricky, mostly because I don't really know anything about motorbikes at all. I did a little research and looked at a series of photographs to see which main elements I should focus on designing. I drew a few basic motorbike shapes before moving on to specifics.


Wheels are an easier, obvious thing to think about. I wanted to look at a few different designs because they can definitely add to the 'personality' of a bike. The more patterned 'cooler' ones would be good for the Bounty Hunter as he likes flashier things, and simpler, plainer ones that are functional rather than fashionable would be better for the assistant.


I don't really know much about seats or fuel tanks, so what shape these end up being will most likely depend on the rest of the design and which fits better.



Again, I don't know much about tailpipes but I think that the idea I used for the wheels can be applied just the same here; more simple and functional will work for the Assistant's design, and flashier and bigger, like the bottom left would be well suited to the Bounty Hunter.

I put some of the different shapes and styles together to see what bikes could be made, although a lot of them still look very complicated, which would be very inconvenient for an animator - if I did want to stay with a slightly more complicated design, then thinking about CG vehicles might have to be an option.
I also tried to look at which bits could be changed and exaggerated more to make the bikes look more different. I think that bigger wheels and longer handles stand out and add to the 'cool'ness of the bike, which is well suited for the Bounty hunter. Keeping his bike looking busier than the Assistant's could help to show the important of looks and excess to him rather than function.


The top bike here is the Bounty Hunter's, and the bottom in the Assistants. I think that I have got a decent distinction here between busy/flashy and simple/functional which might be better helped by colour. I could still  try to create more extreme/simplified shapes for the bikes which would be interesting but I need to thinking about moving on to the next project soon, so this may have to be explored later instead. I am happy with them for now though, and I think that in colour and with context they will work how they need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment