Friday 11 March 2016

PR02: Colonial/Georgian Design Tests

I explored the style of American Georgian houses through some drawings (and realised quickly that I wouldn't have time for a full technical version of each, hence the rougher lines below).

It's interesting to see how the level of detail can change the whole look of a house. The bottom left seems more stately and wealthy with it's much more complex architecture than the top left. The central building reminds me of a shop for some reason, and the bottom right does not look like a residential building.

I enjoyed doing the roofs int eh centre of billings, and I realised that it reminds me of the roof/awnings above the cowboy/ghost town buildings I drew earlier. This could make both styles of buildings fit in together more, which I think will be important for building my town.

I did a few quick interiors to help me think about the layout of the room. Longer rooms seemed to be quite popular in the ones that I've found with walls cut into sections and trim along most ceilings. It was interesting to find some more kinds of ornate panelling as well, which would be nice to incorporate into the Mayor's room. The sections can make the rooms larger or smilers, especially with the alcoves that windows can fit into. The inside carries on a lot with the straight lines, with the horizontal lines helping to make the room look longer.

A lot of furniture that I notched only had two legs extremely ornate and the other two were much more simple. I'm definitely glad about that because the ornate detailing takes a while, but those do look very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment