Monday 27 April 2015

AA: Johnny Ancient Egyptian Designs

For the Egypt scene in the animation, which isn't on for long, I needed to design Johnny a new outfit. My research didn't come up with a lot of different options for ancient Egyptian dress though; for the most part, it is extremely plain and simple, so my design doesn't have to include too much detail.





There are obviously a few more options for just designing and Egypt themed thing, since a lot of things use the very iconic pharaoh head dresses. Though this might be good for helping to show the era, it would be very inaccurate for Johnny to wear something like that. It is more important for the cake things to be accurate than the outfits in this animation, but I still want to keep it semi-realistic, and I do like the idea of keeping Johnny's hair throughout the scenes since that is one of his main attributes. I considered removing his gasses for a second, again for accuracy, but he isn't really Johnny without the glasses and both Cara and Rebecca agreed with that so we are keeping them.
There isn't a whole lot of options for the design, so I didn't have a whole lot to explore. It is probably best for us to have a simpler design anyway to go with the rest of the animation, and I do actually like all of the above. I obviously had to make sure not to not put any detail on the chest for censorship reasons, and I think that the neck piece helps distract from that fact (not that it would really be a problem if it was obvious since plenty of shows do that). The neck piece also allows us to link the design slightly more to Johnny's original design, which I think is definitely a good idea for consistency. I was almost tempted by the third one, but I think there is a bit too much detail on the skirt part. It doesn't look bad, and we don't have too much to animate with it, but I like there only really being one area of detail on his outfit, emphasising the simplicity of the time period that he is in. This made the last design my favorite, and I think that it will work well in our animation.

Again, there isn't a huge range in colours that can be used for Egyptian outfits; they tended to have very simple materials, and use copper and gold for any jewellery. This gave me less to explore, but with the time we have left to finish this project, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like the lightest skirt, because I think it most accurately represents the cloth used for ancient Egyptian clothing without clashing with his skin too much. I feel like the jewellery has to be gold for accuracy, and because it would not look as Egyptian otherwise. Though they did often use some blue tones, I don't like how they work here, and I would rather use pink to link the design to Johnny's original outfit. The final design will use either the third skirt colour or lighter, with gold jewellery and a pink star in the centre.




No comments:

Post a Comment