Tuesday 14 April 2015

APW: Colour

For my old lady character designs, I started off with softer colours at first, just to play around with combinations. I didn't really know if I wanted to push the character into a more classy or not-so-classy direction - I feel like depending on the colouring, she could go either way.

I liked the second two more, but none of them really jumped out at me. I did like the idea of keeping the detail on the dress and shoes the same colour - I think less colours is best for this design anyway, and it ties the outfit together nicely, so I decided to continue with that idea.

I wasn't feeling these ideas too much, either - again, the last two looked better, and I do like the colour combination of the lighter blue dress with tanned skin, but it just doesn't look that interesting to me. The second skin tone is a lot less saturated and almost looks unhealthy, which I actually kind of liked - this character definitely seems like a smoker to me and I feel like the skin tone helps with that idea.
After deciding on the smoker part I thought why not just make her even more wild; the brighter colours definitely suggest a more outgoing and 'crazy' life style. The first three are a lot more effective, although the third is just a little bit too saturated. The character is definitely a lot more lively like this, but still not quite there.

The make up helps a lot - this is definitely a character that enjoys going out and dressing up. The last again definitely doesn't work, but I thought it could be interesting to try regardless. I think the first two are my favorites - that pink would maybe work for a teenage version of this character, but the red works better. I liked both the first two, including how the second's hair looks like it could either be naturally white-ish or dyed platinum blonde. The first is kinder on the eyes though, and I like the contrast on it a lot more. I also like the darker colour at the bottom and how she is lighter at the top; she feels like a more coherent character, and I could imagine that in an animation much easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment