Monday 27 April 2015

AA: Johnny Medieval Design





Most of the research I could get for Medieval outfits that weren't badly made replicas and exaggerated costume pieces is from paintings dating back to that era. Though there a lots of diagrams and other images depicting clothing for the era, I feel like the clothing featured in the paintings would be much easier for children to recognise than the simpler, working class outfits. I didn't really want to stick to a particular class for Johnny for each of these designs, but I feel like going for these kinds of outfits will be much more effective to show what we are getting across, and will seem much more 'old' because of the amount of detail on them that are out of fashion compared to simpler tunics.
The first definitely still looked too plain, and I tried to think about what exactly it was that I thought of first when thinking about medieval times. The ruff was definitely something that came up a lot in medieval imagery, especially when learning about it in school, so that was something that I think would definitely be a lot more recognisable to our audience. It instantly made the design more interesting anyway, especially compared to the tunic, and even just the regular outfits with lace/detailed collars. Making the outfits wider looked a lot better since Johnny had a lot more detail at the top; the puffy sleeves balanced out the design, and adding smaller shoes rather than boots stops the bottom half from looking too empty.
I didn't realise at first quite how bright outfits sometimes were in the medieval times, but after looking at a few images I realised that I still had quite a lot of options. The contrast on the yellow looks much better than the others, but yellow doesn't really suit Johnny. The pink was just a bit too full on and saturated, especially compared to the amount of pink in the previous outfits Johnny had, so I think that the blue is probably the one that would work best for Johnny's design.



No comments:

Post a Comment