Friday 17 April 2015

Tales of the City Designs 1

I thought it would probably be a good idea to start getting used to the main features in the architecture of Manchester. The buildings don't all conform to one architectural style, so there is a lot of extra interesting detail to work with. Most photos I could get for reference (since I don't have time to make a visit myself) are from more dramatic angles which is a shame, but shouldn't be too hard to translate into another angle if needed.


I tested out a couple of ideas for the piece but the central images works much better than the others - the row of three is decent still, but I feel like having all of the contrasting buildings in a row, will work better. They are in chronological order within the same image, so that the idea is clearer and obvious - the row of three images may need some text or explanation - it might not necessarily be obvious to the viewers what the purpose of the images are even if the structure of the buildings/composition of each image is the same. The single, longer row of buildings will show first the older more 'Industrial Revolution' era of buildings that was common in Manchester recently, then subtly adding more detail of the more modern glass buildings that are being build there now, and then subtly changing to a more futuristic version of the city. I want to use more iconic, recognisable futuristic designs for the image so that the concept doesn't get lost - I want the audience to be able to see that it is time passing, but going crazy on my own futuristic designs might not show that so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment