Tuesday 2 February 2016

PR02: Artist Research (1/2)

In this project, I want top look at specific artists to inform my work. Since I'm not working towards something for a children's audience, I want something a bit different. I do also want to expand on the kinds of styles I have used in my previous projects just to see how I can make them more extreme, and work for other audiences since I think that this would be a good skill to learn. This page is a collection of images from the Kickstarter project 'Urbance' and animator/designer Robert Valley.

Urbance
Urbance has quite a unique style, but doesn't do much to make the characters stand out from each other silhouette wise. I think that this is in part because of the nature of the project, and creating a sense of unity with the characters, which is also why their body shapes are all very similar. I think that this idea works within the context of the animation but would not be suited to many other animations - certainly not mine. I do like the use of colour and detail on their designs, though. None of the designs are too 'busy' - they are easily readable, and the simplicity stops them from clashing with each other.

Urbance
They don't all stand out too much from their surroundings, but again, I think this is a purposeful design choice, as the location and setting of the show is just as important as the characters themselves, and need to work well together. It is the smaller parts of detail again that make the characters stand out just enough against the background.

Urbance


Robert Valley
I love Robert Valley's use of gradients, as well as his lack of fear when it comes to extreme proportions. Though this can usually be seen much more in his characters, even the cars seem elongated and extremely stylised.



Valley's work shows more variation in body types despite using much more simplified shapes. This makes the characters very effective as each of them are very easily readable when it comes to their silhouettes, and each show their personalities well. I would like to try and incorporate this level of readability when it comes to my characters, especially if I can do it by keeping my characters nice and simple.







No comments:

Post a Comment