Saturday 6 February 2016

PR02: Story Ideas (3/3)

I found the idea of the criminal getting away much more interesting that the Bounty Hunter winning and capturing them, especially since the Bounty Hunter doesn't actually drive much of the story. Since the criminal drives most of it, I think that they should be the main character, and so they should win at the end the day to make the ending more satisfying.

This next page was me toying with ideas as the criminal gives her wanted poster to the Bounty Hunter, trying to intentionally lay the trap. I still needed to find a way for the criminal to look different from the wanted poster, and a reason why the Bounty Hunter might accept it off them from the first place.



I tried planning out the story against a 5 act structure to help me plan out the important, specific parts of the story that I would need. I put fighting guards etc as the climax of the story at the start, but I didn't want fighting to be the main part of this. When I included chase scenes so far, they were in the 'falling action' part which sounds like they would be quite boring. I moved the chase scene to the climax which makes much more sense, and chase scenes are usually quite tense, especially when you don't know who might come out on top, which I think may happen in my story. I've never really written to this exact structure before, but I think it has helped me actually realise the impart parts of my story and where I want the audience engaged the most.


The feedback that I got helped me to decide to make the criminal start out as the Bounty Hunter's assistant, and it is purely by coincidence that he ends up with her poster. The assistant didn't expect to let her past catch up with her so quickly, but she is in a prime position to manipulate to situation for her benefit. She has never been able to resist stealing certain things (money? art? artefacts?) and since the Hunter is already making a plan as she is rumored to be in this part of country, the assistant might as well make it a plan that she can benefit from. In the feedback I got, most of the responses was that an art or artefact thief would be more interesting than just a normal thief after money and it would almost make it easier for me to show her getting away with just one thing than a lot of money.

I would like to make this story one without dialogue to see how far my storytelling skills can take me. This will mean that body language and specific character actions will be even more important, which I'm looking forwards to exploring, I'm going to create a premise and then a script, and see if I can manage to tell the story as simply as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment