Wednesday 4 May 2016

Pr03: A Few More Tests (2)


I like the trees better in this test, even if they could still be a bit more boring. Using rounder edges of the tiled for the snow and ground help make the scene look a little less flat and is much nice to look at. The slight highlights around the roof edges helps to make them look a tiny bit more 3D.


I was interested to see what different kinds of colours and effects I could use with different layer modes. A limited palette can help to tied things together, but the downside is that you need to make sure that everything still stands out just as much. The houses and trees could use a bit more contrast after this, but at the same time to softness works with the pink, if I wanted to make it a very nice, sweet dream-like place.

Purple makes it darker, but again more contrast is needed in a lot of parts. I like the idea of using purple for these environments because I find it very good for making different atmospheres; more pinker, saturated purples can be very fun and lively, whereas darker more blue ones help with mysterious and/or creepy vibes. It would be interesting to have an all purple map where the colours changes to darker, creepier shades the further through you go.

I put a gradient overlay on to test that out. It would be nice to use dithering and other traditional techniques to show the transition between colours, but at the same time I would like to be it look much more 'me', and I do like using gradients. I think that it is hard to tell whether or not the gradient is effective on something of this size, but it definitely looks a lot darker over at the tree area now, anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment