Wednesday 4 May 2016

PR03: Other Media (1/2)




Even though I would like to create something much more pixel based, I thought it would be worth trying some none digital styles especially after talking to peers. The textures themselves are boring (mostly left over from graph paper) but there's a possibility of overlaying pixel textures on top of it. The main aim of the above was to try out lines using ink.


I tried out the purples and gradients again but there wasn't really enough to test it on in this little sample.



After that, I used a layout from a Zelda map (or close to it) to see how inked lines worked on a larger scale. I really like how it turned out, especially with the graph paper textures, and it would be fun to make a game in this style. It would look much more natural I think to draw every asset out by hand, like the trees above, but that would be very time consuming and I'm not sure that I could manage it.


The contrast could be improved in places, but I do like everything being different shades of the same colour. The main thing I like from this though is the slight gradients in the top left, on the water and little islands. I feel like it makes the water a little bit more reflective and the islands a little bit more 3D, but I feel like if I was going to use gradients then I shouldn't do it on both.


No comments:

Post a Comment