Monday 3 November 2014

Animation Practice Exercises (Non-Linear Deformers)

I experimented with the squash and stretch functions (non-linear deformers) before we started the animation task to get a feel of how they worked. I found them very awkward and hard to get working, especially at first. The main thing I learned I had to pay attention to was the squash handle - it kept moving between frames, especially when I tried deleting keyframes or inbetweens. This made me have to go back and re-key everything. This may have been from keyframing the handles and the objects themselves differently, but even when I tried selecting both it didn't work out much.


I still managed to make some interesting animations even so, but not really what I was aiming for. This animation nearly went alright, but the squash handle must have been in the same place/at a strange factor for the first few frames to make it go as awkward as it did.


This animation reminds me of a lava lamp, and might be useful in case I do ever decide to animate like that. The squash handle will definitely be useful, especially if I move it separately from the ball. I am not entirely sure how it would work out with any other shape, though.

I have no idea what even happened to this animation or how it moved so much. Something must have gone wrong in the factor box and well as maybe the Y and X axis. 


Keyframing is much easier, even if it takes longer than using this method (provided you know what you are doing). I find it definitely helps compared to having autokeyframe on and the handles refusing to stay where they are supposed to be. I need a lot more practice with the squash and stretch deformers if I want to make some more exaggerated animations and maybe a bit more patience, but I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment