Thursday 18 December 2014

Qwertee Initial Research

Qwertee is a site that I like to visit a lot - whether or not I want to buy the designs on sale, it's great to see what things people come up with. With all of the designs being based off IPs that the artist themselves do not own, it is interesting to see how they take things from whatever show/comic/film/game they are designing a shirt off and make it something original, that will stand out between the other designs and that people would want to wear.

I love the idea of this, especially because there are so many fandoms and characters that you can't really get that much merchandice of, so it is nice to have the chance of something different. Of course, a lot of the designs on there are of very mainstream fandoms like Avengers and Pokemon that have millions of different pieces of merchandice to buy, but shows such as Firefly and Arrow are much harder to buy for, so being able to buy t-shirts of them when their designs are chosen is great.

For at least my first Qwertee shirt, I am going to make some designs from the anime One Piece. It is the biggest anime in Japan, and is popular on online communities all over the world. Though it is common to see anime designs on Qwertee (although a few less than western designs), it is not often that you see One Piece designs. Some of the highest voted designs that are no longer available were from the show though, so there is obviously an audience there who has and wanted to buy shirts of it.

Before thinking about my designs, I decided to do some research on the more popular ones, and which in particular I prefer;







I found that bold colours, outlines and silhouettes seemed to be very popular on Qwertee, and they are definitely all fun things to look into. I think that pop/graphicy designs do tend to stand out more, so I think that bright but minimalist might be a fun first direction to go into,

No comments:

Post a Comment