Wednesday 25 February 2015

AA: Cake Stand/Market Stall

One of the things to stay consistent throughout the animation, at least from what Cara has storyboarded so far, is the cake stand/stall that Johnny finds himself walking past. The animation will cycle through a few different time periods - Ancient Egyptions, Middle Ages, and Industrial Revolution. We don't want these settings to seem kind of random and disjointed from the rest of the animation, so I was thinking that if we have a solid object, as well as the character always present in the shot, then it should all be a lot more coherent.


Rebecca already suggested ideas for a cake stand this week which would work great as the solid object - pretty much every culture in the world has some kind of market/stalls, so it wouldn't be too hard to make this work for our different time periods. This will also make it easier to show off different desserts from then that won't be included in the narration adding a bit more fact and making the visuals even more interesting. I think that this is going to be great fun to design, so I think I might consider the structure of the stand first of all, and then begin designing the cakes/props separately before putting them all together - my cake/dessert research from earlier on in the project should come in very handy for that.


I created a Pinterest board with a few different cake stands and market stalls to use as reference, but I think I will wait a little bit until Cara and Rebecca have added to it just so that I can make sure we all have the same kind of idea for it, or in case they thought of something else. Since we are working so closely together, I feel like making sure that they completely agree or get a lot of input is important. I trust their sense of design, since I know that they have always paid a lot of attention to pre-production in past projects so my designs should benefit a lot more from their ideas as well as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment