Wednesday 18 February 2015

AA: Child Design 2 (Colour)

I had a lot of people liking the design for the child as he was already, but I thought at least a bit more development couldn't hurt.
I feel like a hat would be very awkward with the size of the hair on the character - which it was once I tried it, but I also felt like changing the hair size wouldn't work, considering how big the head was and I really liked the head to body ratio, so I decided to leave the hat. Cara especially liked the hair, so I felt it was better to leave it in. I do think that the extra flick I added worked very well, and makes the kid look even cuter. Plus, children, especially left to their own devices, are probably going to get themselves a little more scruffy/messy and I feel like the newer hair design reflects this more - I doubt most of the kids watching would have perfectly shaped hair. The smaller glasses makes the design look a little too old, I feel - those sort of thin glasses that are thick rimmed are seen more on teenagers and young adults than on children, so that was a no. The bigger glasses looked great on him, and I feel like it makes him look a little more real than just having the tiny eyes do. All of the feedback I got for the glasses was extremely positive, so I was happy to move on with the design. I liked the images on the top, but I wasn't sure at this point if the extra detail there was necessary - choosing the right colours would be enough so I left it for now.



Choosing brighter colours works well for our audience - it keeps things interesting, and would make the character stand out. I already really liked the ginger character, but someone pointed out that with the glasses, the character kind of looks like Chuckie from Rugrats. Chuckie is adorable, but I would like to avoid comparisons with other characters if possible.



I then thought about our cake theme, and how the character could fit with that a lot more. There is probably going to be a decent amount of pink in some of the scenes, at least as far as I can tell from our ideas, so the blue hair would be a nice contrast and set him a little bit more apart from the cake and sweet stuff, since he represents the audience and isn't the one giving the information on cake. I tried a lot of softer colours, because the whole animation could look good in pastel,considering the subject, but none of these really stood out for me.

I went back to a few more normal colours for a while - again,I really love the colour combination on the ginger character but I really don't think that he would look good with the other settings/characters that we want to use. This made me sure that I wanted to carry on with more blues/pinks/ colours that either complimented/contrasted with the rest of the animation, so I went back to the pinks and blues.

Varying the shades and saturation helped a lot, and there are a few designs here that I do like. My favorite however, and the favorite of most people I have asked so far is the blue hair, and white/pink top. I added a few stars from earlier designs just to make them more interesting and I think that they really work, so I think that we're pretty much settles on that design now.




No comments:

Post a Comment